Mentok Kangri peak is situated in Jammu Kashmir in north India. It is a beautiful peak that captures the imagination. The peak is named after a wildflower called Mentok, which blossoms here in summers. So if you are planning a trekking expedition to Mentok Kangri peak then the information provided by HelpTravelerOnline would immensely benefit.
There are numerous reason on why one wants to climb Mentok Kangri. This is one of the easily accessible peaks of over 6000 meters. One can drive almost to the base camp and climb the peak in 3-4 days and be back in Leh for the flight back. So logistically it is a convenient peak to climb in a quick duration. Another reason why Mentok Kangri is favored for climbing is its ascent. It is ideal for trekker who is fit and eager to climb higher mountains. In other words, It is opportune for the first peak climb. Another reason for Mentok Kangri peak climb is the opportunity to witness this wondrous landscape of Himalayas. One of the best things about Mentok Kangri peak climb is that you also get to visit the Tsomoriri lake. Besides Tso Moririlake you get to witness several old monasteries and the hard lifestyle of Ladakhi people.
- Difficulty: MODERATE
- Elevation in feet: 20505
- Elevation in meters: 6250
- Prominence: NA
- Coordinates: NA
- Location: Jammu Kashmir, India
- First ascent: NA
- Climbing window: July till mid-October
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Leh, India
- Driving Routes: NA
Mentok Kangri Peak Climbing Preparations
The summit of Mentok Kangri is very much climbable on foot. It doesn’t require rope fixing and rope ascending/descending technique. But remember that even at 6000 meters the lack of oxygen can get to the fittest of the mountaineer. Especially, the last part of Mentok Kangri is very steep and challenging. So build your stamina and always walk under the guidance of a seasoned guide.
Equipment for Mentok Kangri Peak Climb
- Clothing: Lightweight long underwear top, Expedition weight underwear bottoms, Down suit, Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Wind shirts/light shell jacket, Jacket synthetic or fleece of down feather, Synthetic insulated pants etc.
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Windcheater fleece gloves, Mittens with liners, Bandanna, Sun hat, Insulated climbing gloves, woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Other Accessories: Glacier glasses, Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, night vision glasses, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Climbing Gears: Ice ax, Crampons, Webbing, Carabineers, Rappel device, Ascenders, Jumar, Piton, Shovel etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, Ear plugs, First-aid and all essential medicines.
- Gears for Travel: Expedition duffel bag, Nylon stuff sacks, Rucksack, Day pack for hiking purpose etc.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags with liner, Trekking poles, Pee bottle, Pee Funnel for Women, Water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
- Footwear: Cold weather boots, Climbing boots, Casual shoes, Gaiters, Koflach, Crampon, Lightweight/ Midweight/ Liner socks.
Mentok Kangri Peak Climbing Information
The cost to climb Mentok Kangri is about INR 100000 for Indian nationals. Owing to high Himalayan altitude, backpacking and mountaineering in last only 4 months or so. A good plan with an experienced company is recommended for Mentok Kangri peak climb.