South India has a lot of places to visit which are very close to nature. This state of India area is blessed with astonishing natural beauty. A village in the south which is a part of the list of places close to nature is the village of Gandikota which is also known as the “Royal Canyon of India”. The village is known by this name because of its Canyon like structure. It is at a distance of 15 km from Jammalamadugu in Kadapa district, Andhra Pradesh. It has an elevation of 138 m above the ocean level.The village is a tourist spot for people of various age groups who come to visit the place according to their interests but one thing common in all these people is love for nature. Gandikota is also known as “The Arizona of India” as the beauty of Arizona’s Antelope canyons is compared to Gandikota’s Belum Caves and the Pennar river of Gandikota is compared to river Colorado of Arizona.
Gandikota is full of nature’s blessing. The Gorge is the jewel in the crown of the village with magnificent rocks and the astonishing view from the top. The village is surrounded by a deep valley and impassable hills with massive boulders of red granite and a beautiful river providing a feeling of being connected to roots and a home like feeling. The various adventure activities are a delight for adventure lovers. The Pennal river is another attraction of the place which offers camping and a sight to the mesmerizing view of the sun set.The village has a lot to offer and a lot of places which makes it different from all the other nature treks.
GANDIKOTA GEOGRAPHICAL DETAILS
- Location: Andhra Pradesh, India
- Average elevation: 138m
- NearestInternational Airport: Bangalore, India
- Nearest Railway Station: Muddanuru, VenkateshwarIndia
- Best Occasion to visit: September to February
- Trip Duration: 5-6 Days
Essentials to carry for Backpacking in Gandikota
- Gear for Hand & Head: Sun hats, Face mask, etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack. Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Footwear: Sandals, and floaters. Few pairs of socks.
- Clothes: T-shirts, shirts, and shorts. A few pair of jeans, pants.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.