Thalay Sagar is high rising peaks within the Gangotri group of peaks in Uttarakhand. The peak lies in the central most range of the Himalayas and therefore is a remote place of Himalayas to venture. The climbing of Thalay Sagar peak is no mean task. Considered as highly technical and extremely challenging, Thalay Sagar has the tendency to test the skills of most experienced climbers.
The region where Mount Thalay Sagar falls is extremely beautiful in its full ruggedness. The reward of climbing Thalay Sagar peak would be an unparalleled view of Himalayas in 360 degrees. Most importantly, the peak tests your strength and skills, and not everyone gets success on this dynamic peak.
We have put together some details and stats regarding Mount Thalay Sagar, which could help you plan an expedition. Please note that the statistics for Thalay Sagar has been retrieved from the most reliable sources. Although, we cannot guarantee if they precisely accurate.
THALAY SAGAR PEAK STATISTICS
- Difficulty: VERY DIFFICULT EXPEDITION
- Elevation in feet: 22651
- Elevation in meters: 6904
- Prominence: 3280 ft / 1000 m
- Coordinates: 30°51 N 78°95 E
- Location: Garhwal Himalaya, Uttarakhand, India
- First ascent: In 1979
- Climbing window: late May, June, late September, early October
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India,
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehra dun, India
- Driving Routes:
- Dehradun-Suakholi-Uttarkashi-Gangnani-Harshil-Gangotri (240 km)
- Rishikesh-Chamba-Uttarkashi-Gangnani-Harshil-Gangotri (280km)
Geography of Thalay Sagar Peak
It is nestled adjacent to the Jogin group of peaks. One would reach to Kedar Tal lake from Gangotri to make it as a base camp for climbing. From Kedar tal, it may take a few days to be able to make the actual ascent. The weather conditions are harsh there and geography very rugged. During the climb be ready to negotiate moraine, shale rock, and hanging glaciers.
Mount Thalay Sagar Peak Climb Requirements
- Clothing: Lightweight long underwear top, Expedition weight underwear bottoms, Down suit, Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Wind shirts/light shell jacket, Jacket synthetic or fleece of down feather, Synthetic insulated pants etc.
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Windcheater fleece gloves, Mittens with liners, Bandanna, Sun hat, Insulated climbing gloves, woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Other Accessories: Glacier glasses, Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, night vision glasses, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Climbing Gears: Ice ax, Crampons, Webbing, Carabineers, Rappel device, Ascenders, Jumar, Piton, Shovel etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, Earplugs, First-aid and all essential medicines.
- Gears for Travel: Expedition duffel bag, Nylon stuff sacks, Rucksack, Daypack for hiking purpose etc.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags with liner, Trekking poles, Pee bottle, Pee Funnel for Women, Water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
- Footwear: Cold weather boots, Climbing boots, Casual shoes, Gaiters, Koflach, Crampon, Lightweight/ Midweight/ Liner socks.
Tips for Thalay Sagar Expedition
To attempt climbing expedition of Thalay Sagar one needs to be extremely fit, and also must have excellent mountaineering skills and knowledge. The expense would be around $ 10,000 for one person.