Sudarshan parbat peak trek is a strikingly visible peak in Gangotri group of peaks and stands at a majestic altitude of 6507 meters. The trek to the base of Camp of Sudarshan parbat is a journey into an untouched land. Not many people go to this place despite being so close to Gomukh. But if you happen to step into this white valley of Himalayas your mind will transport into another world. Sudarshan parbat base camp trek is a little-known trek and only exposed to mountaineers and geologists.
The trekking trail to the base camp is straightforward. The legendry trail to Gomukh is the trail we need to take. But from Bhojbasa, instead of going straight towards Gomukh, we take a steep left and climb for a while before getting into the basin of Sudarshan. On reaching a top of this hill climb you will be astounded to witness so many rising peaks all around you. These Gangotri group peaks are high and worldwide famous for its difficult geography. Peaks like Shivling, Bhagirathi, Meru and Thalay Sagar seem like at a touching distance.
You may plan a backpacking expedition to Sudarshan parbat base camp if you are fit and healthy. Though, it is not a place for first timers. It is advisable to have 1 or 2 easier Himalayan treks before you can try something of this difficulty. And if you have decided to go for this trek then prepare very well as advised in this article. Make sure the gear list is checked multiple times and all the items necessary are in your trekking kit. You will definitely need a guide and trekking team for this expedition.
SUDARSHAN PARBAT BASE CAMP TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: CHALLENGING
- Distance: 50-55 km
- Max Altitude: 5300 m
- Trek Duration: 10-11 Days
- Location: Gangotri, Uttarakhand, India
- Best Time: May-June and September-October.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehradun, India
Equipment for Sudarshan Parbat Base Camp Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks. Crampon may be needed.
- Luggage: Backpack (50-60 liters), Daypack (20-30 ltr), Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season/weather
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Tents (4 Season), Sleeping bags (extreme -15 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
Guidelines for Sudarshan Parbat BC Trek
The trek will require you to acclimatize quickly because going near 5500 meters in 3-4 days can be iffy. During the first 2 days spend an evening with short bursts of walks in mountains around where you stay. Make sure the weather is suiting you and you eat and wear as needed. The above itinerary is merely for your reference. Depending on your fitness level you can add or delete the number of days by planning accordingly.
One good way to prepare for Sudarshan parbat BC trek is by building your leg muscles. Cycling and squats are the tested ways. Strength on your shoulders would also be helpful for a trek of this intensity.