Mountains, waterfalls, lakes, trees, flowers, birds, animals and everything that connects us to nature are all what attracts the mountaineers and trekkers worldwide. The phenomenal views of the natural beauty connect every trekker to nature and their origin. The Singalila Ridge and Sandakphu Trek is an amazing trek for natural sight-seeing and trekking. The trek is more of beautiful flora and fauna than difficult mountains to climb. Sandakphu is located at an altitude of 3,636m. It is a 9-10 days trek. The trek starts from the “Tea Garden of India”, the state of Darjeeling. Darjeeling which is famous for its natural beauty continues to mesmerize the trekkers and tourists worldwide.
Attractions of the Singalila Ridge: The mountain ridge runs north-south from Northwestern West Bengal through Sikkim in the Indian part of the Himalayas. Sandakphu is the highest peak of the range which is located at an altitude of 3,636 meters above the sea level. The Singalila ridge offers one of the most mesmerizing and fascinating treks which is suitable for trekkers from different age groups. This ridge also forms the border line of India and Nepal.
Sandakphu is the highest peak in the Singalila Ridge in the Darjeeling district on the West Bengal-China border. The name Sandakphu means “Height of poison plants” and it is named so because of the poisonous aconite plants which grow here but these plants cause no harm until and unless you try to eat any of them. The end to end panoramic view of five of the highest Himalayan peaks including Everest, which is the highest peak in the world, is extraordinary. The snow-caped peaks and the charismatic beauty of nature surround the place which is a heaven for every mountain lover and trekker.
SINGALILA RIDGE & SANDAKPHU TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: EASY to MODERATE
- Distance: 60 km
- Max Altitude: 3600+ m
- Trek Duration: 10-11 Days
- Location: West Bengal and Sikkim, India
- Best Time: May-June and September-October.
- Nearest international airport: Kolkata, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Bagdogra, India
Equipment for Singalilia Ridge and Sandakphu Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks. Crampon may be needed.
- Luggage: Backpack (50-60 liters), Daypack (20-30 ltr), Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season/weather
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Tents (4 Season), Sleeping bags (extreme -15 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.