Parashar Lake Trek is something out of fantasy and myths. That is how most trekkers’ feel when they see this beautiful small lake, and when they hear stories about it. In the Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh, you can go for Prashar lake trek, which is an easy to hike destination and good for first-timers, or those who are just beginning to get the hang of mountains. The altitude of Prashar lake is a little over 2700 meter, with a grand view of high rising peaks and verdure landscape. And one of a unique things about the lake is the floating island, which is a patch of grass that’s always floating on top.
At the Prashar lake, there is an ancient temple of sage Prashar, who is the grandson sage Vashisht. Sage Parashar once happened to pass through this place and decide to do meditation here. There are numerous other stories related to Mahabharat time (BCE), in which Pandavas second brother Bheem created this lake for his teacher. These mythological stories never cease to fascinate a trekker when they go for Prashar lake trek.
The depth of Parashar Lake Trek also arouses curiosity. It is well-established belief that the depth of the lake cannot be measured, or have ever been measured. In reality, as well the lake is very deep, as large objects like trees have been submerged in it without any trace.
There a number of great things about this place and it is highly recommended that you plan a trek for Prashar lake for true nature escapade.
PRASHAR LAKE TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: EASY
- Trek Distance: 16 km
- Trek Duration: 02 Days
- Location: Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Best Time: Mid May till June and mid-September till November/December.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Kullu, India
Checklist for Prashar Lake Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (45-55 liters), Daypack (20-30 liters), Duffel bag (as needed).
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season/weather
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool, etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Sleeping bags (extreme -10 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
Parashar Lake Trek Information
For the Prashar lake trek, participants must reach Mandi in Himachal Pradesh. This place is connected from Delhi, Chandigarh, Dehradun and numerous other big cities in northern India via Road.But the travel time is long so planned accordingly. Kullu is the closest place with an airport.
It is a fairly easy trek. While going up to lake the participants will find some sections steep, but it is doable. It is always advised to prepare well prior to a trek, especially in the Himalayas. Attaining fitness is your personal goal and this habit can make Prashar lake trek a fairly easy hike.