Parang La trek in Himachal Pradesh is not a very popular one, but it is exactly what multi-days backpacking is all about. The trek allows a participant to reach an altitude of 5600 meters, and witness some of the most scenic places of Himalayas. You will require about 12 days to complete the trek and this extended timeline in the wilderness makes Parang La trek a challenging one. It is not a trek for a beginner or first timers, but someone who have done easier treks before and now wants to pursue something on a bigger scale.
Parang La trek is something like total value for your money. While you get to backpack on the roof of the world, there are a number of things that you are going to love about your trek. The Tibetan culture in this region is something that will draw your attention immediately. The nomads of this region, with their life on Yaks and Sheep makes one of the most beautiful settings for a Himalayan journey on foot. You also will be able to visit some highly auspicious Monasteries of the region. And the opportunity to sightsee Manali and Leh is an added bonus.
This region is also known to wildlife enthusiasts as one of the hotbeds for Snow Leopards. This elusive big cat of high mountains is visible to the locals here, especially Shepherds and people with livestock. The Himalayan fox, Tahr and Ibex are some other Himalayan mammals that draw people to Parang La trek.
PARANG LA TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: CHALLENGING
- Trek Distance: 100 km
- Trek Duration: 12-14 Days
- Location: Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Best Time: Mid May till June and mid-September till early late October.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Kullu, India
Equipment for Parang La Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), Crampon, Koflach, normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (70 liters), Daypack (20-30 liters), Duffel bag (as needed).
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season/weather
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool, etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Sleeping bags (extreme -10 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
Parang La Trek Information
To pursue this trek you will have to reach Manali in Himachal Pradesh. Manali is well connected with luxury and ordinary buses from interstate cities like Chandigarh, Dehradun, New Delhi, Shimla and numerous others. Being a tourist destination, there is also an airport near Manali, where Air India operates a regular flight from Delhi.
Parang la trek is a heavy duty trek and would need physical stress and hardship. Make sure you are well prepared to take trekking of this intensity. If you are physically not sound and not made for outdoor adventure then Parang La trek is not meant for you.