Panpatia Col trek is actually an expedition, where one also crosses the Parvati col, besides going through the Panpatia col. It is a heavy duty trek and requires exceptional mental and physical health, besides the mountaineering skills. But the overall experience of Panpatia Col trek is simply amazing. It is one of the least done treks of Garhwal Himalayas and you will barely see any signs of humans on this route. What you encounter is pure barren Himalayas challenging your will and spirit with every step you take.
The access to Panpatia col is a very difficult one. For several years mountaineers tried to find a safe passage for a route connecting the shrines of Kedarnath and Badrinath. In recent years a trekking party was able to mark an easier access route to Panpatia Col. The legendry trail is still little known in mountaineering fraternity, but for some odd mountaineers dreams, this is what they live for. The Panpatia Col expedition is one of the best hard trekking assignment you can experience.
The mythology behind this trek is something that continues to float in the minds of mountaineers. Legends have it that the same trek route was once taken by a priest on regular basis. The priest was known to have knowledge about the trek route and was able to accomplish the journey between the two shrines in one single day. Although it is hard to believe this, but that a high altitude passage in the Himalayas fascinates mountaineers on a regular basis.
PANPATIA COL TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: HARD / CHALLENGING
- Trek Distance: km
- Trek Duration: 14-15 Days
- Location: Garhwal, Uttarakhand, India
- Best Time: Mid May till June and mid-September till early late October.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehradun, India
Expedition Gears for Panpatia Col Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), Crampon, Koflach, normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (70 liters), Daypack (20-30 liters), Duffel bag (as needed).
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season/weather
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool, ropes, climbing essentials like Carabineers, Ascender, Zumar, etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Sleeping bags (extreme -10 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
About the Panpatia Col Trek
The trek to this forgotten land is something to be planned well in advance. Besides managing the logistics for Panpatia col trek, one needs to build up mentally and physically as well. This is a very hard, expedition like trek, and would take someone who has been to higher altitude a few times.
Even if you have done some moderate treks in past it is advisable to prepare for this one. Panpatia col trek would demand a lot physically and be in shape is quite important.
Once you are in shape, the Panpatia col trekking expedition will take you some of the most remote regions of Himalayas, and with it the psychedelic experience that you only get seeing isolated valleys and nature.