Neel kanth is a beautiful looking peak in Uttarakhand, India with an altitude of 6507 meters. Though it is extremely difficult to go for this peaks climbing expedition, one can get a close sniff of this dramatic peak with a trek to its base camp. The trek to Neelkanth Base camp is moderately hard and can be done within 3-4 days. But to reach Badrinath, the nearest road head, it would take 2-3 days journey from Delhi. The trek is perfect for someone coming to visit Uttarakhand and want to do a moderately high altitude trek in Uttarakhand Himalayas.
The mountaineering rules for Neel kanth base camp trek remains like any other mountaineering expedition. You will need to attain basic fitness where you can ascend and descend in high altitude mountains, and also able to carry your essentials in a day pack. The mental health for a trek like this should be absolutely sound and there should be no recent injury bone to elsewhere. People with the problem of asthma, cardiac and diabetes should avoid doing such a trek.
The trek offers a grand view of high Himalayan mountains. You can see some very high rising peaks from here and can glance at Nanda devi ring of peaks from here.
The Neelkanth base camp trek is essentially a holy journey for Hindus. The Neelkanth peak itself has mythology attached to it and thus, it is a pilgrimage for Hindus.
NEEL KANTH BASE CAMP TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: MODERATE to HARD
- Trek Distance: 25-30 km
- Trek Duration: 06-07 Days
- Location: Garhwal, Uttarakhand, India
- Best Time: Mid May till June and mid-September till early November.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehradun, India
Trek Gears for Neel kanth Base Camp
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (50 liters), Daypack (20-30 ltr), Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Sleeping bags (extreme -5 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
Neel kanth Base Camp Trek Information
When you decide to pursue this trek you can combine the tour with an extended trip to the Satopanth lake, which is a glacial lake. This would require you 2-3 extra days, but worth it. The Neel kanth base camp trek is fulfilling in its own ways, but this extension can amplify the intensity.
On the Neel kanth base camp trek route, you will be able to witness some high rising peaks of Garhwal Himalayas. The Gigantic Chaukhamba and the serene Satopanth peaks are visible. Swargarohini is also seen in distant and justify this ancient mythological route to the heaven.