Mount Shivling is an epitome of the Himalayas, fondly recognized for the holy symbol of Lord Shiva. From mountaineering perspective Mount Shivling is peak rising out from the meadow lands of Tapovan and towering straight into the sky. Shivling peak is globally famous for its technical and difficult climb. The altitude of Shivling is 6543 meters, but in mountaineering fraternity, the difficulty of Shivling peak is well accepted. Most mountaineers who happened to glance at Shivling peak nurtures the dream of climbing it someday in his or her life.
Its appearance as a pyramid is perhaps Mount Shivling’s most attractive feature. It just rises out of the ground when you watch it from Tapovan base camp.
If you are looking to attempt Mount Shivling peak climb then the information provided in this section would be immensely helpful.
SHIVLING PEAK DETAILS
- Difficulty: DIFFICULT MOUNTAIN EXPEDITION
- Elevation in feet: 21467
- Elevation in meters: 6543
- Prominence: 850 m / 2790 feet
- Coordinates: 30°52 N 79°03 E
- Location: Garhwal Himalaya, Uttarakhand, India
- First ascent: In 1974 by ITBP Expedition team
- Climbing window: May, June, late September till early October
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India,
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehra dun, India
- Driving Routes:
- Dehradun-Suakholi-Uttarkashi-Gangnani-Harshil-Gangotri (240 km)
- Rishikesh-Chamba-Uttarkashi-Gangnani-Harshil-Gangotri (280km)
Mount Shivling Climbing Preparations
A peak like Shivling demands a climber to be in best shape. One has to be very tough physically and even tougher mentally. Moreover, your basic mountaineering skills need to be exceedingly good to accomplish mount Shivling climb with a success tag. Start running a lot, at-least six months prior to the climb. Also build up your leg and calf muscles and train in mountainous conditions as much as possible.
The Equipment for Mount Shivling Expedition
- Clothing: Lightweight long underwear top, Expedition weight underwear bottoms, Down suit, Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Wind shirts/light shell jacket, Jacket synthetic or fleece of down feather, Synthetic insulated pants etc.
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Windcheater fleece gloves, Mittens with liners, Bandanna, Sun hat, Insulated climbing gloves, woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Other Accessories: Glacier glasses, Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, night vision glasses, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Climbing Gears: Ice ax, Crampons, Webbing, Carabineers, Rappel device, Ascenders, Jumar, Piton, Shovel etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, Ear plugs, First-aid and all essential medicines.
- Gears for Travel: Expedition duffel bag, Nylon stuff sacks, Rucksack, Day pack for hiking purpose etc.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags with liner, Trekking poles, Pee bottle, Pee Funnel for Women, Water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
- Footwear: Cold weather boots, Climbing boots, Casual shoes, Gaiters, Koflach, Crampon, Lightweight/ Midweight/ Liner socks.
Mount Shivling Expedition Details
The cost to climb Shivling peaks would be anywhere between $5-10000. The cost is dynamic depending on what all facilities and services you want for the expedition. There are four to five good routes for Shivling climb. You decide with your travel operator as to which is the best climbing route for your group.