Mount Kedar Dome is a high rising peak tucked in between other high peaks of Himalayas, all falling in Gangotri group of peaks. The altitude of Kedar dome peak is 6831 m, making it one of the higher mountains in the region. However, despite its altitude Kedar dome is considered as relatively easier peak to climb. Beginner peak climbers can consider Kedar dome as one of the first major climbs before considering tougher peaks in future. But all essential preparations of peak climbing are still necessary in order to attempt Mount Kedar Dome peak climbing.
For the expedition, one must reach Gangotri on the road head. From there one has to trek for 3-4 days before reaching the base camp of Kedar dome peak. Gangotri is a well-connected road with the highway leading from Rishikesh and Dehradun.
We can help you plan a peak climbing expedition to Kedar dome. The information provided on this page would help you prepare towards planning further.
KEDAR DOME PEAK DETAILS
- Difficulty: TOUGH
- Elevation in feet: 22405
- Elevation in meters: 6831
- Prominence: 850 m / 2790 feet
- Coordinates: 30°78 N 79°06 E
- Location: Garhwal Himalaya, Uttarakhand, India
- First ascent: In 1947
- Climbing window: May, June, late September
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India,
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehra dun, India
- Driving Routes: Dehradun-Suakholi-Uttarkashi-Gangnani-Harshil-Gangotri (240 km) OR Rishikesh-Chamba-Uttarkashi-Gangnani-Harshil-Gangotri (280km)
Mount Kedar Dome Peak Climbing Preparations
Prepare extremely well before peak climbing in the Himalayas. Remember, it is one of the most difficult forms of adventure, and Kedar dome in the Himalayas is one region where you have to prepare exceptionally well. The following information would serve as dossier for better things to come.
Essential equipment and gears list:
- Clothing: Lightweight long underwear top, Expedition weight underwear bottoms, Down suit, Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Wind shirts/light shell jacket, Jacket synthetic or fleece of down feather, Synthetic insulated pants etc.
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Windcheater fleece gloves, Mittens with liners, Bandanna, Sun hat, Insulated climbing gloves, woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Other Accessories: Glacier glasses, Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, night vision glasses, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Climbing Gears: Ice ax, Crampons, Webbing, Carabineers, Rappel device, Ascenders, Jumar, Piton, Shovel etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, Ear plugs, First-aid and all essential medicines.
- Gears for Travel: Expedition duffel bag, Nylon stuff sacks, Rucksack, Day pack for hiking purpose etc.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags with liner, Trekking poles, Pee bottle, Pee Funnel for Women, Water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
- Footwear: Cold weather boots, Climbing boots, Casual shoes, Gaiters, Koflach, Crampon, Lightweight/ Midweight/ Liner socks.
Cost of Climbing Kedar Dome
To climb Mount Kedar Dome one will have to spend to the tune of $5-10000, which will be in budget mode.