Mount Kamet is the third highest peak of India and 29th highest in the world. It is 7756 meter in altitude, having the status of a towering peak of Himalayas stretched to the remotest of India bordering region with Tibet. From a distance, it would appear to have a flat summit with two outer peaks on opposite sides.
Mount is Kamet is a remote mountain of Indian Himalayas. The peak is on a tectonic section where some peaks are relatively higher than the neighboring ones. Abu-Gamin peak (7355 m), Mana peak (7272 m) and Mukut Parbat (7242 m) are in close proximity of Mount Kamet. Abu-Gamin is connected to Mount Kamet via saddle of Meade’s Col.
When Mount Kamet was climbed first time in 1931 by a British expedition it was the highest climbed the peak at that time. Apart from the number and figures, Mount Kamet is pure adrenaline delight for mountaineers, where challenges are made or broken on the blessings of nature.
SATOPANTH PEAK STATISTICS
- Difficulty: DIFFICULT EXPEDITION
- Elevation in feet: 25446
- Elevation in meters: 7756
- Prominence: 9268 ft / 2825 m
- Coordinates: 30°55 N 79°35 E
- Location: Garhwal Himalaya, Uttarakhand, India
- First ascent: In 1931 by Frank Smythe, Eric Shipton, and others
- Climbing window: May, June, late September, early October
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India,
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehra dun, India
- Driving Routes: Rishikesh-Srinagar-Joshimath-Niti/Ghamsali (340 km)
The Expedition to Kamet Peak
Once you reach New Delhi you will need to take a brief flight for Dehradun / Rishikesh. From Rishikesh one will have to drive for 340 km in a mountainous road to reach the road head for this expedition. This road journey will be divided in two days.
Kamet Peak Climb Essentials
- Clothing: Lightweight long underwear top, Expedition weight underwear bottoms, Down suit, Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Wind shirts/light shell jacket, Jacket synthetic or fleece of down feather, Synthetic insulated pants etc.
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Windcheater fleece gloves, Mittens with liners, Bandanna, Sun hat, Insulated climbing gloves, woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Other Accessories: Glacier glasses, Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, night vision glasses, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Climbing Gears: Ice ax, Crampons, Webbing, Carabineers, Rappel device, Ascenders, Jumar, Piton, Shovel etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, Ear plugs, First-aid and all essential medicines.
- Gears for Travel: Expedition duffel bag, Nylon stuff sacks, Rucksack, Day pack for hiking purpose etc.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags with liner, Trekking poles, Pee bottle, Pee Funnel for Women, Water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
- Footwear: Cold weather boots, Climbing boots, Casual shoes, Gaiters, Koflach, Crampon, Lightweight/ Midweight/ Liner socks.
Mount Kamet expedition timeline and cost
It will take about 25 days to attempt the expedition if everything goes according to plan and there are no major natural problem during the trip. The cost of Mount Kamet peak climbing expedition would be $ 8-10000 for one person based on a group size expedition cost.