The goal of life is living in agreement with nature. Nature completes our need and the raw product of every industry comes from nature. All the basic essential things are provided to us by nature. Nature is the supreme storehouse for all the needs of mankind. A place where nature provides with the needs as well as has a splendid beauty is a mountain range located in Chikkamagaluru district in Karnataka named as Kudremukh. It is also the name of a small hill station cum mining town situated near the mountain. The northern, central and eastern portions of the park constitute a chain of rolling hills with a mosaic of natural grasslands and shola forests. The Kudremukh township developed primarily as an iron ore mining town where the government ran Kudremukh Iron Ore Company Ltd. (KIOCL).
Kudremukh is a small village located at a distance of 96km from the district of Chikmagalur and about 335km from Bangalore of Karnataka. The forest is spread over an area of 600sq km at an altitude of 1,894m above the ocean level. The name Kudremukh literally means ‘horse-face’ in Kannada language and refers to a particularly picturesque view of a side of the mountain that resembles a horse’s face. One of the most beautiful place in the Western Ghats the variety of scenery we get is more than we get from other treks.
The Kudremukh Trek, Karnataka is full of beautiful natural beauty. The overflowing streams, the dark shola forests, bamboo shrubs tall enough to touch the sky, the lush green hills and the mountain peak itself while the scenery leaves you awestruck. The Kudremukh peak lies in the Kudremukh National Park, which is home to several species of flora and fauna. The peacock, wildfowl, and deer are some of the best attractions.Kudremukh is at a distance of 332km from Bangalore and 99km distance from Mangalore. Mullodi is the base of the Trek to Kudremukh peak. The peak is at a distance of 10 km from the base camp. The route is through Mullodi, starting from Shamse located on the main road, 10km beyond Kalasa.
Details of Kudremukh Trek in Karnataka
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Maximum Altitude: 2133m
- Total Trekking Distance: 18km
- Trek duration: 2 days
- Best Time to visit: October-February
- Location: Kudremukh (Karnataka), India
- Nearest Domestic Airport: Mysore, India
- Nearest International Airport: Bangalore, India
Essential Trekking Equipment to carry in Kudremukh Trek in Karnataka
- Footwear: Walking boots, Sports shoes, and few pairs of socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (60 liters), Daypack (20-30 liters)
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jackets and pants, Wind-cheater, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
- Gear for hand and head: Sun Hat, Face Masks, etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/ Goggles, Anti-glare glasses, water bottle, Swiss knife, Hydra Pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking gears: Emergency Toolkit.
- Protection and first-aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Dettol solution or salt to avoid leach, Zip Lock bags, ear plugs, first aid and all essential medicine.