The Kashmir great lakes trek is essentially a trekking trip to five high altitude lakes of Kashmir. The names of these lakes are Vishansar lake, Kishansar lake, Satsar lake, Nundkhol lake, and Gangabal lake. All these lakes are located in Jammu Kashmir and draw many trekkers to visit these lakes.
The whole experience of this lakes trek improves your knowledge of Himalayan geography. With that knowledge comes the adventure and adrenaline that is so essential for outdoor adventure. The Kashmir great lakes trek gives you exposure to not just Himalayan geography, but also to the culture of Kashmir. You get to visit small remote villages and their lifestyle can be observed with closeness. The wildlife and flora of the region will also add the advantage of trekking to these great lakes. Keep on the lookout for some rare endemic birds of the Himalayas found in this region.
It takes little more than a week to accomplish the trekking of all these five lakes. Once you reach Srinagar, the next stop is Sonamarg. From there about 06 six days in mountains will take you through the higher passes from where you can witness these natural great lakes of Kashmir.
KASHMIR GREAT LAKES TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: MODERATE
- Trek Distance: 60 km
- Trek Duration: 09 Days
- Location: Srinagar, Jammu Kashmir, India
- Best Time: May till November.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Srinagar, India
Equipment for Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (50-60 liters), Daypack (20-30 ltr), Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Sleeping bags (extreme -5to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
Guidelines Great Lakes of Kashmir Trek
You should plan your Kashmir great lakes trek from May onwards. This is the time when Kashmir valley becomes conveniently accessible to the rest of the country. You can pursue this trek till late November. But the best time is the month of August/September when the weather is most ideal for pursuing trekking in the Himalayas in this particular region.
Keep all the essential gears and equipment for the Kashmir great lakes trek as it is a high altitude trek and weather can suddenly get cold. Make sure your backpack is packed with essential items. You may talk to a tour agent as well about organizing this Kashmir lakes trek.