Kareri Lake Trek is a perfect alpine trekking destination in Himachal Pradesh. The trek starts from McLeodganj and passes through the Kareri village and towards Kareri lake. The lake is the source of Nylund river. The altitude of the Kareri lake is approximately 3300 meters. Being a high altitude lake means the water source of the lake is glacier water coming from a higher altitude.
The trek is relatively moderate for hiking but in terms of natural landscape, it gives very many options. You will need to cross rivers a few times, and a few stretches on the trek are relatively steep. The trek is amassing with flora & fauna. You will find a great variety plants & trees that dwell in high altitude Himalayas. There are Oakwood and Alpine forest through the trek route. The species of birds and butterflies here is also far different from what you are used to seeing. And the presence of animals like Bears and Leopards is enough to uplift the spirit of nature lover.
All these factors make Kareri lake trek an ideal destination for a moderate adventure. This trek is also good for beginners who are keenly looking to explore the Himalayas. By all means, the trek to Kareri lake is recommended one in Himachal Pradesh.
KARERI LAKE TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: EASY to MODERATE
- Trek Distance: 30 km
- Trek Duration: 06-07 Days
- Location: MeLeodganj, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Best Time: April-June and mid-September till November.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Kullu Manali, India
Trekking Equipment for Kareri Lake
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (50 liters), Daypack (20-30 ltr), Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Sleeping bags (extreme -5to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
Kareri Lake Trek Information
The best time to go for Kareri lake trek is right before or after the Indian monsoons. From May till mid of June one can find a good time to visit such destination. While the days are hot in May/June the nights are extremely pleasant. The other time-frame for this trek is mid-September till the start of November. The skies are very clear at this of the year and the terrain is green after monsoons. Hiking during the day is pleasant and nights are also not so cold. September till November is the best time to trek Kareri Lake.