Dzongri Goecha La trek is a breathtaking walk amidst the Himalayas, which gives you an opportunity to trek over 16000 feet and witness the majestic Kanchenjunga peak from the Dzongri Goecha La pass. The trek is dotted with greenery all over, and you will love the smell green grass, flowers and trees throughout the course of the trail. Only at high passes, you will find yourself above the tree-line with hardly any vegetation. Overall, the experience of roughing it out with nature through a trek like Goecha La is a must to do a thing for an adventure enthusiast.
Dzongri Goecha La pass is located in Sikkim state within Indian Himalayas. It is easily accessible through the air with Siliguri airport receiving flights from Kolkata and Delhi. From Siliguri, one can easily drive to Yuksom from where the trek starts. During the first few days of trek, you will experience lush green forest through your trek, bustling with flora & fauna. But slowly, as you rise higher in altitude and you begin to get the glimpse of high rising peaks from a close distance. Goecha la pass is close to 5000 meters and gives you a challenging terrain for skill testing.
DZONGRI GOECHA LA TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: MODERATE
- Trek Distance: 85-90-km
- Trek Duration: 10 Days
- Location: Sikkim, India
- Best Time: May-June and mid-September till mid-October.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Bagdogra, Siliguri, India
Trekking Essentials for Goecha La Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (50-60 liters), Daypack, Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags (extreme -5 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
Goecha La Pass Trek Information
Dzongri Goecha La pass trek is very good for photography with some very picturesque landscape in sight. Moreover, the weather of Himalayas offers an ever changing atmosphere, which is good for photography.
While on Goecha la you will also witness rare Himalayan wildlife, including birds and mammals. So keep ears and eyes open when you are on the go, and you might spot something rare.