Dodital Lake Trek is a pristine high altitude lake in Uttarakhand Himalayas and sacred to the local population of this valley. The lake is also the source of Assi Ganga river, which later merges with Bhagirathi river at Gangori, near Uttarkashi.The Dodital lake trek passes through the high lands of Assi Ganga valley, going up to its source – and even beyond. Darwa top, which is 5-6 km from Dodital lake gives a pristine view of the Himalayas, including a close-up of Bandarpunch peak. At Agoda village, you can stroll around and get a close of view Himalayan lifestyle and culture. Overall, the trek to Dodital and Darwa top is perfect for someone who wants to spend a week or so in mountains and spend time with nature.
To pursue Dodital lake trek one must reach either Rishikesh or Dehradun, which are two major hubs of Uttarakhand. Within 5-6 hours you will reach Uttarkashi, from where SangamChatti is 45-minute drive. Spend your Day 01 in Uttarakashi. Next day you will loosen up with 06 km hike to Agoda village. Dodital lake is the next point with a 14-15 km gradual climb. The hike to Darwa top is mostly uphill (05-06 km one way), but a pleasant walk nevertheless above the tree-line in higher Himalayas. You are touching an altitude of approximately 4000 m at Darwa top.
The Dodital trek offers you lodges and rest house on the way, which means you have to carry limited backpacking items. There are lodges at Agora village and in Bewra village, and decent guest houses at Dodital. That makes it convenient for hikers because all they now need is a local guide to lead them through.
Also, you can witness abundant of wildlife here, including the chances to see big animals. Himalayan Pheasant or the Monal is found in abundance here, along with Snow Partridge, rare Woodpeckers and other stunning birds.
DODI TAL LAKE TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: MODERATE
- Trek Distance: 50-55 km
- Trek Duration: 07-09Days
- Location: Garhwal, Uttarakhand, India
- Best Time: April-June and mid-September till November.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India,
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehradun, India
Driving Routes: Delhi-Dehradun-Uttarkashi-SangamChatti OR Delhi-Rishikesh-Chamba-Uttarkashi-SangamChatti
Dodi Tal Lake Trek Essential Requirements
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (50-60 liters), Daypack (20-30 ltr), Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool kit.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags (extreme -5 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, Sleeping mat, etc. Kitchen Tent, Ration, cooking utensils, etc.
* there is an option of staying in lodges and forest guest house throughout the trek. In that case tents, sleeping bags and such camping gears may not be required.
Dodi Tal Lake Trek Information
Dodital is a freshwater lake fed by glacier streams and is the melting point for wildlife of the region. There is a temple on the shore of the lake dedicated to the local gods for the protection of the natural resources of their livelihood. There are forest guest house and a GMVN guest house at Dodital where you can easily spend a few nights.
You can take help from local people here, who are very helpful and eager to assist you in every possible way. It is recommended that you take help of locals because even though Dodital is frequented by hikers, it is still a very remote place. Confusion with trails and shortcuts can be very discouraging. By all standards, Dodital and Darwa top trek is one of the very best in the Himalayas.