Chadar trek literally means going for a trek on a bed sheet of ice/snow. During winters, when the Zanskar river freezes, the terrain becomes the best access of commuting (on foot) between Leh and Zanskar valleys. It is an ancient trade route used for a long time by traders and part of the famous silk route.
Chadar Trek is undoubtedly one of the unique treks of its kind. It is performed in winters when most other treks of Himalayas are nullified due to snow. Going for this kind of adventure is a choice of brave heart adventurers. And the rewards are outstanding. You get to witness the frozen river and water streams that take myriad shapes and forms. The frozen waterfalls are simply amazing, appearing like stalactite or stalagmite.
Get the experience of the legendry Chadar trek by planning an expedition. To gain maximum out of this adventure you can refer the information collated here regarding Chadar trek.
CHADAR TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: HARD
- Trek Distance: 70-km
- Trek Duration: 8-9 Days (ex-Leh)
- Location: Zanskar range, Jammu Kashmir, India
- Best Time: Jan-February
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Leh, India
Essential Gears for Chadar Trek
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof, normal walking boots, floaters.
- Luggage: Backpack (50-60 liters), Daypack, Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Down suit, Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Shell jacket, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic).
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Windcheater fleece gloves, Bandanna, Sun hat, woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Crampons, Piton, Shovel etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, Ear plugs, First-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags (extreme -25 Celsius)with liner, trekking poles, water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
Preparing for a Trek-like Chadar
The Chadar trek in Ladakh offers extreme conditions for backpacking. A trekker must prepare physically to endure the harsh cold weather of Himalayas in winters. The temperature can plummet to -30 Celsius at night and even days can be exceptionally cold. Moreover, the altitude sickness is something you have to be prepared for in advance.
Chadar Trek is nature’s gift to mankind. Those who appreciate the beauty of earth’s wonder would love to do something like Chadar trek.