Black Peak in Garhwal Himalayas in Uttarakhand is also known by its local name – The Kalanag peak. The peak appears to have a face looking like a Black Cobra’s open hood and hence got its local name.The Black Peak or Kalanag stands 6387 meters and from peak climbing standards it is not such a difficult ascent to the summit. Someone with lesser mountaineering experience can try for Black Peak anticipating a successful climb.
Black Peak is nestled in the Bunderpoonch massif in close proximity of Bunderpoonch peak. The majestic Swargarohini peak is also in close range. To attempt Kalanag or Black peak one needs to reach Taluka (the road head) and trek for three days to reach the base camp of the peak.
Information regarding Black peak expedition is widely available over the internet. The peak has been climbed many times over and is preferred amongst the first time climbers. The purpose of HelpTravelerOnline is to provide useful information regarding Black peak climbing.
BLACK PEAK or KALANAG PEAK STATISTICS
- Difficulty: MODERATE/HARDEXPEDITION
- Elevation in feet: 20955
- Elevation in meters: 6387
- Prominence: NA
- Coordinates: 30°01 N 78°34 E
- Location: Garhwal Himalaya, Uttarakhand, India
- First ascent: In 1955 by J T M Gibson
- Climbing window: May, June, late September, early October
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi, India,
- Nearest domestic airport: Dehra dun, India
- Driving Routes: Rishikesh-Mussourie-Barkot-Sankri-Taluka OR Dehradun-Mussoorie-Barkot-Sankri-Taluka
Access to Black Peak or Kalanag
The access to Kalanag peak or Black peak is relatively easier compared to other peaks of Garhwal Himalayas. From Dehradun, it takes about 8-9 hours to reach Sankri, where you can get comfortable accommodation for the night. Next day you take a small jeep ride to Taluka and start the trek from there. You can reach to Ruinsara lake and camp there for a day or two for acclimatization. Little further is the Kyarkoti base camp from where you will go further towards the peak for summit.
Requirement for Black Peak or Kalanag Peak Climbing
- Clothing: Lightweight long underwear top, Expedition weight underwear bottoms, Down suit, Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Wind shirts/light shell jacket, Jacket synthetic or fleece of down feather, Synthetic insulated pants etc.
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Windcheater fleece gloves, Mittens with liners, Bandanna, Sun hat, Insulated climbing gloves, woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Climbing Gears: Ice ax, Crampons, Webbing, Carabineers, Rappel device, Ascenders, Jumar, Piton, Shovel etc.
- Other Accessories: Glacier glasses, Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, night vision glasses, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Camping Equipment: Tents, sleeping bags with liner, Trekking poles, Pee bottle, Pee Funnel for Women, Water bottles, Sleeping mat, etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, Toiletry kit, Water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, Ear plugs, First-aid and all essential medicines.
- Gears for Travel: Expedition duffel bag, Nylon stuff sacks, Rucksack, Day pack for hiking purpose etc.
- Footwear: Cold weather boots, Climbing boots, Casual shoes, Gaiters, Koflach, Crampon, Lightweight/ Midweight/ Liner socks.
Profile of Black Peak or Kalanag
Once you have reached Kyarkoti base camp you see this beautiful mountain inviting you with open arms. The southern approach to the peak is gradual and one need not require the usage of climbing equipment. But if you go from the northern flank one can find it a little difficult and the usage of ropes, crampon, and ascender might be needed.
To climb Black Peak in Garshwal, Uttarakhand you will have to spend $ 4-5000 per person when done in a group.