Beas Kund trek is located in the ragged mountains of the Dhauladar Range and is one of the amazing and short treks in Himachal Pradesh. It is believed that Rishi Vyas, who scripted the Epic Mahabharata used to take a dip in this holy lake and from his name, the term ‘Beas Kund’ has derived. Besides being a sacred lake, it is also the origin of River Beas.
The Beas Kund trek starts from the famous Solang Valley situated at the top of the Kullu valley, which is 12 km from Manali (known for its summer and winter sports mainly paragliding, skating, and zorbing). During the trek you get the spectacular views of Indrasan (6220metres), Hanuman Tibba and DeoTibba (6001metres) peaks, the PirPangal range, panoramic lush green meadows of Dhundi and Bakarthach, glaciers and snow-capped mountain peaks along with various breath-taking sites all around the valley. The trek is a perfect destination for people who love the solace of nature and would travel endlessly just to witness such scenic and picturesque beauty. The trek route to Beas Kund is through rocks and boulders in summers, while it is snowbound in winters. After trekking for 4-5 hours we will see the beautiful Beas Kund.
How to Reach Beas Kund Trek
The best time to visit Beas Kund is Mid May and Mid-October as the weather remains pleasant making the trip easy and thrilling. The closest airport is at Bhuntar Town (about 50 km south of Manali and 10 km south of Kullu town). The nearest International Airport from Manali is at Chandigarh, whereas Jogindar Nagar is the nearest railway station from Manacle, situated at a distance of 166 km. The other convenient rail heads are at Chandigarh and Pathankot. Manali is also well connected by road with major north Indian cities such as Delhi, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Haridwar, Shimla, Dharamsala, and Dalhousie.
Beas Kund trek is one of the most beautiful treks with great trekking adventure and heavenly experience. It takes you away from the hustle-bustle of the city life and you would be fascinated with such miraculous, picturesque nature.
BEAS KUND LAKE TREK DETAILS
- Difficulty: EASY to MODERATE
- Trek Distance: 30-35 km
- Trek Duration: 5-6 Days
- Location: Solang, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Best Time: Mid May till June and mid-September till early late October.
- Nearest international airport: New Delhi and Chandigarh, India
- Nearest domestic airport: Kullu, India
Expedition Gears for BEAS KUND LAKE TREK
- Footwear: Trekking Boots (snow and water proof), Crampon, Koflach, normal walking boots, and floaters. Few pairs of warm/woolen socks.
- Luggage: Backpack (50 liters), Daypack (20-30 ltr), Duffel bag.
- Clothes: Waterproof breathable jacket & pants, Jacket (synthetic or fleece of down feather), insulated pants (Synthetic), Poncho, Sweatshirt, inner thermal (upper & lower), fleece, t-shirts, cotton trekking pants, shorts.
* clothing as per the season
- Gear for Hand & Head: Liner glove, Bandanna, Sun hat, Woolen caps, Face mask etc.
- Accessories: Sunglasses/Goggles, anti-glare glasses, water bottle, hydra pack, Headlamp with spare bulb and extra batteries.
- Trekking Gears: Emergency tool, ropes, climbing essentials like Carabineers, Ascender, Zumar, etc.
- Protection and First-Aid: Sunscreen, toiletry kit, water purification tablets, Zip-lock bags, ear plugs, first-aid and all essential medicines.
- Camping Equipment: Sleeping bags (extreme -5 to +5 Celsius) with liner, trekking poles, etc.
Beas Kund Trek Guidelines
As you have to trek up to 11,000 ft in height you should know different breathing techniques as well as keep yourself hydrated that will help to loosen the fear of climbing mountains as the climatic conditions in high altitudes vary from the plains. Always listen to the tour head or guide and follow his instructions. Do not consume alcohol or any other intoxicating drink that may cause harm to your health while trekking to Beas Kund. As the trekking heads through the eco-friendly zone do not litter around the campsites or local sites. If you will be visiting the temple always remember to dress up accordingly so that the sentiments of the local place are not hurt.
Trekking to Beas Kund is definitely a brilliant idea and a great opportunity to witness the spectacular views along with the fascinating life of the locals of villages such as Goshal, Sannag, and Burua.